From Huay Xai I took the slow boat down the Mekong for two days stopping off at Pakbeng overnight.
The slowboat arrived in Luang Prapang, from there a few friends and I went to visit some local waterfalls...
There is a curfew inforce in Luang Prapang - all bars shut at 10:30pm and the only place that stays open is a bowling alley just outside the city. Rumour has it it is owned by a policeman and therefore allowed to stay open...
 |
| Friends at the bowling alley |
 |
| The view from the top of the hill in Luang Prapang where a temple is situated. |
 |
| The french influence is most evident in Laos where baguettes and pastries are very easy to find... of course I indulged in some blackforest gateaux... |
I was in Luang Prapang for the festival celebrating the end of buddhist lent and the end of the rainy season. Monks lit up their temples with colourful lanterns with candles in. The whole city came own for celebration and put 20 or more large bamboo boats covered in candles in to the mekong and floated them down the river. It was an amazing site with hundreds of flying lanterns in the sky and fireworks going off everywhere.... however I lost my camera later in this trip and unfortunately the photos along with it...
 |
| A buddhist temple filled with lanterns. |
 |
| We got a tuk tuk out to a local village where they were having boat races between villages. We cheered along with the locals and whole villages went wild when their village boats won. |
 |
| At the boat racing there were lots of fair ground type games you could indulge in... I lost at all of them... |
Comments
Post a Comment