Vientiane
The capital of Laos doesn't feel like a city in South East Asia at all. Quiet and laid back, with small quaint streets it reminded me more of a Parisian suburb with bakeries and coffee shops lining the streets. It has it's own version of the Champs-Élysées and even an Arc de Triomphe (though it has a very Gothic look to it).
I spent two nights in Vientiane enjoying the coffee shops and bakeries, and visiting the various tourist attractions. The highlight was a trip to the COPE foundation and exhibition, that works with the victims of unexploded ordinance in Laos and helps them and their families with prosthetics and getting back to living their lives. The exhibition really hit home, and told of the damage the Vietnam war caused and still is causing to the people of Laos.
Again... I will sort out pictures when I get a hold of some.
From Vientiane I was faced with a 28 hour bus ride to Hanoi in Vietnam to meet my brother Alan who was arriving from London for a holiday..... so I booked a flight.
I spent two nights in Vientiane enjoying the coffee shops and bakeries, and visiting the various tourist attractions. The highlight was a trip to the COPE foundation and exhibition, that works with the victims of unexploded ordinance in Laos and helps them and their families with prosthetics and getting back to living their lives. The exhibition really hit home, and told of the damage the Vietnam war caused and still is causing to the people of Laos.
Again... I will sort out pictures when I get a hold of some.
From Vientiane I was faced with a 28 hour bus ride to Hanoi in Vietnam to meet my brother Alan who was arriving from London for a holiday..... so I booked a flight.
Comments
Post a Comment