Mui Ne - Let's go fly a Kite, up to the highest hei.... no wait it's just gone straight into the sea..... oops!

I wanted to get to Cambodia for the 1st of December so arriving into Mui Ne on the 29th of November didn't give me much breathing space! During the evening Dan, Sarah and I went to the sand dunes nearby and "attempted" to slide down them on boards - without much success! We then went out for a game of mini golf - Dan won though I'm pretty sure there was some dodgey maths involved!

Sliding down - though in this picture and infact most of the time I was fully stationary thanks to the trays we rented having a very surprising amount of grip!

Landing in sand dunes is surprisingly comfy... until you realise you have sand everywhere and you still find it weeks later in places you previously didn't even know existed!

The 18 hole mini-golf marathon took around 3 hours!

The next day I embarked on 3 hours of kite surfing lessons - Mui Ne is famous for it. Most of the complications with kite surfing come with controlling the kite so the 3 hours were dedicated to the kite and learning to control it both in and out of the water safely.

Getting blown down the beach and then having to walk back isn't the most fun thing you can do!
Preparing the kite - connecting all the lines and checking everything is nice and safe.
After learning to control the kite on land the next step is to take it to the water. There you are taught to drag yourself in the water using the kite - I must have swallowed a couple of litres of sea water - I didn't feel very well afterwards. They also teach you how to give the kite power and you end up flying several metres out of the water before coming down face first into the water - not very comfortable I can tell you!

I crashed the kite several times and my instructor wasn't too pleased, I thought it was a perfectly valid thing to do when you've just swallowed a litre of sea water! Learning to kite surfing wasn't the most fun thing I've ever done, but I definitely think it's one of those things that once you've got the basics you can really start to enjoy it - so hopefully i'll be picking it up again soon!

Controlling the kite from the sea.

After the kite surfing Dan, Sarah and I went for dinner and a couple of drinks, before I jumped on a night bus to Ho Chi Mihn city to catch my flight to Siam Reap. All of which was done with a very dodgy tummy that I think was probably caused by drinking lots of questionable the sea water! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Belize Island Hopping Tour

Palenque

Campeche